Comprehensive Psychological Testing and Evaluations
When a child or adolescent is struggling academically, socially, or emotionally, a psychoeducational evaluation can lend valuable insights to determine precisely what’s going on, and then make practical recommendations for parents, teachers, and the student to improve well-being.
Psychoeducational evaluation make use of objective, standardized measures to diagnose cognitive and emotional concerns that may be affecting academic performance, disruptive behavior, or emotional regulation at school or home. Evaluation may be arranged for children, adolescents, or adults with a particular focus on children and teens aged 6 to 18.
Diagnoses for A Range of Concerns
The comprehensive evaluation process gathers a broad array of information to understand a student’s current situation. Testing sheds light on areas including:
- intellectual functioning
- academic ability
- executive functioning
- behavioral issues
- social relationships
- emotional regulation
A formal diagnosis can be provided for issues such as:
- Specific Learning Disorders (e.g. dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia)
- Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Mood Disorders (e.g. anxiety, depression)
- Giftedness (e.g. for inclusion in gifted programs)
- Intellectual disabilities/impairment and other psycho-social conditions.
A full psychoeducational evaluation takes place over several sessions, including:
- a thorough interview with parents and the student
- two clinical assessment sessions to complete multiple tests and questionnaires, and
- a debriefing session with parents to explain the final report and discuss implications.
As part of the process, parents and teachers also complete a variety of online questionnaires to provide contextual data on the student from multiple perspectives.
Detailed report with diagnosis and recommendations will be produced after all the data is collected. The entire process usually takes about one month, but may be completed sooner if all required information can be gathered efficiently from the various parties involved.
Customized assessments (e.g. ADHD, IQ Only) can also be arranged for specific requests.